Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Food Halls: Daimaru Department Store

I'm on a mini family get away to Sapporo, Japan, the northernmost island. The abundance of local farms and fresh seafood provides for many things that my relatives would call, "very delicious" and "I think the best one." Whereas Adam and I pursue good food at in intramural / club sport level as weekend warriors, the rest of my family pursues good eating at a world class Olympic level. My "ordering" strategy is simply to say, "I'll have whatever you're having." 

One of my favorite things to do when visiting Japan is to wander around the vast gourmet food halls located in the basement of every department store. The food hall at Daimaru department store is smaller than the ones I've seen in Toyko, but even a "small" food hall is filled to the brim with lots of things to see and even more "very delicious" things to try. I wandered around for a good hour yesterday examining the goods and mourning my tummy space limitations. 

Cakes cakes cakes


Strawberry cake expertly packed to withstand a giant earthquake or the commute home. I've never seen so much packaging for one slice of cake that cost $3. 
Paper bag
Cardboard box
2 napkins wrapped individually in plastic
1 plastic fork
1 pack dry ice
1 cardboard divider to prevent cake from moving around in the box
and finally...
1 slice of Strawberry Cake

Wish I could buy one and just attack it with a giant fork


Carefully cultivated watermelons displayed like precious babies

Ginormous seedless black globe grapes

Some dim sum takeaway

Freshly fried fishcakes chock full of local seafood. This was "very delicious"

Zvy Dority would freak out over this display of her favorite food...rice and seaweed

Fried cutlet lunch boxes

Strawberry and whipped cream sandwich? It would be even better if they replaced the bread with cake.

No comments: