Thursday, January 06, 2011

Five Guys Burger

We did a lot of driving while in Florida, actually Adam's dad did a lot of driving, Adam navigated with his Droid while the rest of us took naps and enjoyed the scenery. I was on occasion "helpful" around meal times when I would look out the window for a good place to eat. My "good eye" proved indispensable when were stuck in traffic on the highway out of Miami. We were all hungry and on our way to becoming "hangry" [hunger induced angry]. We had been on the wrong end of the four lane highway to turn into a restaurant whenever they appeared and I had no idea when we would be able to eat. Fortunately I spotted a Five Guys on my side and was able to get Adam's dad to make a quick U-ie. While I was impressed with my "good eye" and kept self congratulating my "good eye," I'm not sure my family really appreciated my "good eye." I did get to enjoy Five Guys for lunch and that pretty much made my day.

As for the origins of my love for Five Guys. A few years ago, I discovered Five Guys Burger at DC's Reagan National Airport. I was waiting to fly back to Boston on a business trip when I noticed a plain looking sign for a "Five Guys Burger." The signage was so basic, I was intrigued. I figured it had to be either super awesome like In-N-Out or just nondescript and I had to find out. It turned out to be super awesome so I ordered a burger and fries even though it wasn't time to eat. Their fries are fried in peanut oil and the burgers are topped with all the toppings you want. The burgers are hand formed and I actually think the food is better than In-N-Out. I don't love the fries at In-N-Out and Five Guys has amazing fries and they're generous with them to boot.

No comments: