Sunday, January 02, 2011

Key Lime Pie Pilgrimage - Part I

For Christmas, we flew down to Miami to meet up with Adam's parents for vacation and spent a few days in Key West hunting down key lime pies to try using an from the New York Times as our guide, "Searching Margaritaville for the Perfect Key Lime Pie." While I'm a big fan of key lime pie, Adam and his parents are not natural fans of this tart treat, but they really embraced the spirit of our Key West adventures and enthusiastically sampled eight key lime treats.

8. Pepe's [Key West]
I had high hopes for this pie since the article mooned over it. Their crust has cinnamon in it which isn't my favorite. I like the tart filling, but the others preferred a milder key lime flavor. Kind of a weird tasting pie in my opinion.

7. Cole's Peace Bakery [Key West]
We stopped by Cole's Peace Bakery three times in three days, the food was so yummy. Wonderful homemade Cuban bread, delicious breakfast sandwiches and phenomenon sandwiches with home-roasted meats. I bought the key lime pie since everything else was so good and it was alright. Classic key lime pie with a graham cracker crust, nothing special. I don't think they sell many pies so I'm guessing the pies sit in the fridge for a while which might be part of the problem. There are better things to be enjoyed at Cole's and better key lime pies to sample elsewhere.

P.S. The bakery is attached to The Restaurant Store next door, a great [surprise] restaurant supply shop. I bought myself a nice big industrial whisk and 500 cupcake liners. Be sure to check it out.

No comments: