Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Key Lime Pie Pilgrimage - Finale

2. Robert Is Here [Homestead]
Also a find from the article, Robert Is Here is a tropical fruit farm stand that makes awesome fresh fruit shakes. Their signature is the Key Lime and Strawberry Key Lime milkshake. We stopped by on the way back to Miami and picked up a huge box of tropical fruits: mangos, papaya, jackfruit, etc. I was totally key lime pied out at this point, having already enjoyed two slices of pie earlier that day, but I had to get a shake just to try it. I ordered a Strawberry Key Lime milkshake to mix it up a little and it was so good, I felt sad I couldn't drink the entire shake. They use real key limes so there's actual pulp in the shake. It's refreshing and really flavorful...I'm still mourning the 2/3 full shake I had to throw out.

We asked a bunch of different people where we should eat on vacation and Joe's Stone Crab got the most unprompted recommendations so we had to check it out. The food was good, no doubt, but they had my favorite key lime pie of the trip. It was a classic tangy slice that was super well executed. The filling was cool and smooth and the graham cracker crust was crumbly and buttery. Like I said three posts ago, I'm a big fan of key lime pie and the classic is always a winner in my book so I'm giving Joe's the top spot.

P.S. Joe's has a key lime pie recipe on their website and you can also mail order a pie.

No comments: