Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Back when I was your age, we didn't have shoes...

Despite my slightly better than average grasp of twentieth century history and my ability to do basic math, I sometimes experience a disconnect when it comes to exactly how old my mom is. I forget that she can't possibly have experienced anything before the 1950s because I always think parents are old and that they've experienced historical events first hand or at the very least through mediums such as television, newspapers, photographs, etc. The following is a reconstructed scene and conversation.

Scene: I'm in high school and my mom and I are watching Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton on VHS.

Mom: This is the part where Cleopatra enters the city on a huge float.
Ann: How do you know? Were you there?
Mom: Uhhhh. No...I've seen this movie before.
Ann: Oh!

Obviously, I didn't really think my mom was alive during the Roman Empire, but alas sometimes I'm not so quick on the uptake.

No comments: