Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Dry Erase "Art"

I inherited a dry erase board a few years back that sported a message in childlike scrawl that looked like "Momy." The woman who left me my old office along with the dry erase board was a mom and had a toddler and a small baby. I can only deduce that the message was supposed to be "MOMMY" because I subsequently found abandoned legal pads also featuring similar handwriting and sentiments.

For a long time I didn't erase whatever scrawl was left on what was now my board. I felt kind of bad eliminating the last evidence of a cute kid having spent time in my office. This reluctance has turned into a pattern for me. I've never really written any messages on my board since then and I rarely erase the "art" my coworkers leave on my board. While I do enjoy it and it cracks me up whenever I look at my board, I can barely even remember when some of this "art" was created or who created it.

Here's a mental snapshot of what presently resides on my white board. In particular I have three pieces of dry erase "art" I'd like to highlight. They are intermingled amongst some fun flowers, five point stars, a cupcake, and random cartoon guy wearing a red shirt, a huge grin and spiky hair on a round head with little nubbin ears, but these three pieces still maintain their own separateness.

1. I should really put this on a T-Shirt and capitalize on what could be the next anthem for a disenchanted and ambivalent generation of "yutes." Nina has written "What the heck? What's going on? WHO KNOWS?" I think I'd put the slogan on the front of a black shirt and on the back, a peace sign that reads "NO NUKES" which incidentally also appears on my white board courtesy of Nina. I'm not sure if she's referencing something specific or if it's a general sentiment, but it's hilarious to me because it's so random.

2. The next is a visual representation (slight exaggeration) of my very low tolerance of snow. It reads "Snow Tolerance" on top with the following names in order of snow tolerance, "Jess...Nina...Ann." I should also add that there is a bracket drawn between Nina and Ann that is labeled "x100." This piece of dry erase "art" intends to communicate that Jess has the highest tolerance for snow and enjoys snow. Nina is a native New Englander and enjoys snow, but less than Jess. Lastly, Ann (being from LA or "lala-land") hates snow and tolerates snow 100 times less than Nina. While Nina's tolerance of snow is only one unit less than Jess' tolerance, Ann's tolerance is 100 units less than Nina. "Ann Hates Snow and being Cold." All of these things are very true and will probably never change.

3. "Oxycotton: 80mg" [artist unknown] is the last message separated form all others neatly sitting on the lower left corner of the board. I can't remember who left this one, but it does not refer to "The look the feel of Cotton, the fabric of our lives," but is a misspelled reference to the infamous opiate reckless "yutes" hold up pharmacies for. If you notice most drugstores now have signs prominently displayed on their doors that read something like this "We do not carry Oxycontin on the premises. You may mail order Oxycontin, but we do not have any on the premises." The underlying message of these signs is, "We do not carry the goods, the dope, please don't kill us, we don't have what you're looking for, but we do carry shampoo and novelty candy so please come again." Why "Oxycotton: 80mg?" Work related at some point, but it's funny to me because I always think about cotton even though I know that it's referencing something a little darker than "the fabric of our lives."

No comments: