Thursday, May 08, 2003

Gift Piggy...Oink Oink!

I'm a "Gift Piggy." While I love getting gifts, I'm more a "gift piggy" when it comes to giving gifts. I love giving gifts so much that I'm not above "inventing" holidays (much like the greeting card industry) to celebrate. I once justified leaving treats for my coworkers by declaring it "Happy Jamaica Day." This was somewhat legit, I got my information from bluemountain.com the e-card site, but they’re a bit liberal in their definition of what constitutes a “holiday.” However, I'm not Jamaican and none of my coworkers are either, we don't even have ancestors from Jamaica.

Recently I won my entire office NCAA basketball pool and I bought everyone presents with my winnings. How crazy is that, I don’t even follow basketball and I won $260. I have to admit that I did “pray” that I would win so I could buy presents for everyone. I felt that praying to better my betting odds was “OK” as long as I intended the money for good. I even considered writing Syracuse a letter just to let them know that I’d been praying sporadically that they, and I, would win. "Christmas in April" was totally fun for everyone, especially me because I had yet another reason (and extra illgotten gain) to buy and wrap fun presents for my friends.

Every year I start pondering about Christmas presents earlier and earlier in the calendar year. Last year, I started making stuff around August. Today, I started pondering about Christmas 2003 and it's only May. [Please save the exasperated eye rolling for those who can't commiserate with my sentiments.] Even I have to admit, May is disturbingly early to be thinking about Christmas.

Over the last few years, I’ve managed my Christmas and Birthday lists with respective Excel spreadsheets. I keep track of my progress for each family member, friend, housemate, coworker, etc. whether I've acquired their gift, made it, baked it, wrapped it, or mailed it. At some point every Christmas season I get a bit overwhelmed because I've got 40 folks on my gift list and at least another 30 more for Christmas cards. [Note: something as small as a tin of altoids counts as a "gift" as long as I wrap it.] On the other hand, there are times when I find something really cool that I want to get for lots of people and I get a bit bummed wishing I had more friends, more resources and more reasons to give gifts.

I've started keeping a small notebook in my bag so I can jot down gift ideas for certain friends while I'm out and about. If I only had a modicum of the same organizational energy for organizing my office, I probably wouldn't be sitting behind a desk haphazardly piled with documents, pens, books and whatnot.

All in all, I just really enjoy gift giving. Sometimes I think it’s a bit lame and embarrassing to get that excited about giving gifts, but then again I’ve discovered that most people like getting thoughtful gifts (or “ useless crap”). I suppose it all depends on what your perspective is.

No comments: