Friday, May 30, 2003

The Bumpkins

Adam and I journeyed to NYC last weekend for a wedding. The wedding was lovely and the food was wonderful by the way, but our initial attempts to navigate the NYC subway were subpar. Unless you're hapless like I am, you don't usually have to pay an extra fare just to take your suitcase with you. Upon arriving in NYC on a Saturday morning, I was in charge of rolling Adam's small suitcase since he had to carry his very heavy and cumbersome rental tuxedo on a hanger. After doing our cost/benefit analysis of whether to buy an unlimited fun pass, we decide to just get a dollar denomination metro card. I enter the subway turnstiles dragging the suitcase behind me and somehow the suitcase handle gets hooked in the turnstile prongs and becomes stuck with a line of people behind me waiting to go through. Displaying somewhat quick thinking and after trying to pry the suitcase from the turnstile prongs, Adam finally slid his metro card a second time paying a extra fare to free the suitcase. Tempers were flaring with indignation and I was especially cranky due to lack of sleep and hunger. I said something like, "Well, I didn't get the suitcase stuck on purpose." Then we had to laugh because the whole hoopla was just comical...two bumpkins in the big city...what is this turnstile contraption you speak of?

No comments: