Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Comparative Hotdogs

Adam and I stopped by Gray's Papaya twice this weekend while in NYC. Talk about cheap eats, 75 cents for a hotdog (toasted bun included) and a wide range of fruity (non-alc) libations. The hotdogs were quite good, a little crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, a nicely toasted bun...and did I mention the price? As tasty and inexpensive as Gray's Papaya is, my favorite hotdog is Spike's Junkyard Dogs. Spike's offers beefy hotdogs in freshly baked hearty buns with a myriad of toppings. My favorite is the Texas Ranger, topped with melted cheddar cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce. Even more delicious is the Texas Ranger with sautéed onions, which is called a "Casey Dog" in Providence, but it's a sad hotdog to order because it's a memorial hotdog. One Spike's hotdog at less that $3 fills me up and is the ultimate cheap eats hotdog in my book. Much to my delight, this weekend The Boston Globe proclaimed Spike's Junkyard Dogs as number one on their list. BOOYAH!

*Interesting Factoid: The owner of Spike's Junkyard Dogs also owns Adesso in Providence, a classy California style restaurant. Veggie Dogs are available and are reported to be quite good.

No comments: