Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Krispy Kreme--a haiku

Fried pillowy dough
Enrobed perfectly in glaze
Doughnut of my eye


I'm eating some two-day-old Krispy Kreme doughnuts and they're still delicious probably because the glaze that envelops the donuts serves as a form of plastic wrap preventing staleness from descending on my treat. Upon arriving at Penn Station, I ate two Original Glazed and upon leaving, I purchased two dozen assorted doughnuts to share with my friends here in Boston. The woman at the Krispy Kreme counter was a bit "surly" or as Adam put it, a "New Yorker." While I was paying for my doughnuts, Adam, being the affable man he is, chats up "Surly Krispy Kreme Woman" (SKKW). The following is a reconstructed exchange between Adam, SKKW, and Ann.

Adam: So what are some of your favorite donuts?
SKKW: I like the glazed and I really like the lemon filled, they're really my favorite, but she didn't pick any of those.
Ann: I did pick lemon filled. I asked for "two lemon filled, two raspberry filled, two chocolate glazed..."
SKKW: No you didn't.
Ann: But I did ask for lemon, I know I asked for lemon filled.
SKKW: Pchhhh whatever...you didn't ask for lemon. (waving me away)
Ann: (pondering whether to insist she replace some of my donuts with lemon)
SKKW: You ordered lemon...just kidding. Did you see the look on her face? Ha Ha Ha! You should have seen the look on her face.
Adam: Well, we're bringing these to Boston where we don't have Krispy Kremes and we really like lemon.
Ann: You sure I have lemon? (wondering if she's lying and trying to get rid of me)
SKKW: Yeah...you've got some lemon in there.
Ann & Adam: (shell shocked, but walking away)
SKKW: Come back here. (Winks and hands us two free lemon filled doughnuts.)

We did walk away with two free doughnuts, but I'm not sure it was worth the aggravation. I did end up with four lemon filled doughnuts, which is always a treat.

No comments: