Monday, May 12, 2003

Teaism

Highlights from my recent weekend jaunt to DC include visiting the Julia Child's exhibit at the Smithsonian, eating S'mores at Cosi, and munching on a delicious pumpkin spice muffin at Firehook Bakery. However, it was my visit to Teaism that was most intriguing. I seriously want to see the business plan for this place. It's this teahouse that serves light meals with an Asian influence. The menu is brief, but offers a wide range of options from Indian Tandoori to Japanese bento boxes to muffins and scones. The scones and Chai tea were wonderful and I secretly plotted to go back the next day.

The decor of the shop is best described as minimalist, "shabby chic," modern, Asian, and most of all, the concept is entirely "Bobo." I think their "mission statement" (click "About," then "Why" for mission statement) further solidifies my thesis, that they're quintessentially "Bobo." I noticed the "distressed" paint on the stairs suggesting age and wear not feasible for a shop that opened in 1996. Corinna thought they might have overlooked the stairs and forgotten to paint them. I, on the other hand, am more cynical. Distressed staircases can't possibly be an afterthought for an establishment that maintains this type of aesthetic. The image they've designed translates down to the last detail; galvanized steel trash cans for the kitchen area when Rubbermaid 30 gallon plastic ones are more practical. Galvanized steel trash cans are retro while Rubbermaid is crassly commercial and most of all plastic.

I may be a design conspiracy nut, but I do admire the style and taste of this teahouse and I certainly wouldn't mind if they expanded to Boston. They offer delicious treats and maybe some of their hipness and style would rub off on me if I drank enough of their wonderful Chai tea.

No comments: