Friday, May 23, 2003

GUMBALLS

Though I'm not much of a gum chewer, I maintain a "gum bin" just outside my office for my gum loving coworkers. When the Coop used to carry more gum, I filled the gum bin with a plethora of Bubble Yum flavors; Grape and the sour flavors were some favorites. In the interest of preventing cavities and watching our girlish figures, I mostly fill the bin these days with Dentyne Ice, Trident Original Bubble Gum, Big Red, Juicy Fruit and occasionally some Bubble Yum.

This year, I hosted the 2nd Annual Office Easter Egg Hunt on Good Friday with an egg count of 180. While Michelle and I were procuring egg hunt supplies at Target, I came across Bubble Yum Bubble Gum Eggs, egg shaped bubble gum coated with a candy shell. The bubble gum eggs were a great hit with the office or at least Nina really loved them. I was bummed because the bubble gum eggs were seasonal and I hadn't stocked up on them. I got really excited when I found something similar, Bubble Yum Incredible Hulk Giant Green Gumballs, at the drugstore last night so I purchased a bag for Nina.

Because I had never really had a gumball before, I never knew what gumballs were; somehow I thought they were jawbreakers because they're both spherical. I thought the bubble gum eggs were a newfangled product by Bubble Yum, but turns out they were just oblong gumballs. Gumballs are apparently sold everywhere and aren't obscure and seasonal at all. I even took the extra precaution of issuing this egg hunt warning regarding the "esoteric" candy, "there will be some Bubble Yum bubble gum out there. The gum is egg shaped, but has "Bubble Yum" stamped on it so please don't swallow the gum thinking it's candy."

No comments: